Klášter Zlatá Koruna, 382 02 Zlatá Koruna
Tel. +420 380 743 126
The Cistercian monastery was founded by King Přemysl Otakar II in 1263. The king endowed the
community with rich and extensive estates, all the better to compensate for the growing economic and
political power of the Rožmberk clan residing in Český Krumlov. The inevitable decline of the
monastery after the Hussite wars was not arrested until the 1660s or 1670s. The monastery was then
raised anew by the builders, Petr and Jan Spineti. Under the last Abbot Bohumír Bylanský the
interior was refashioned in Rococo style but in 1785, just when it was reviving economically, it was
turned into a factory.
The convent church, which has three aisles, a transept and polygonal east end, was constructed
between the end of the 13th century and the 1370s. Michal Parler had a hand in the final phase and
the large rose window is thought to be his work. The side aisles have Gothic cross vaulting while
the nave and sanctuary are vaulted in the Baroque style of the 1670s. The high altar, dating from
1772, has a sculpture by Jakub Eberl, who is also responsible for the cenotaphs of the monastery's
patrons Přemysl Otakar II and Bavor III of Strakonice. These areas now house an extensive exhibition
devoted to South Bohemian literature.