Poutní místo Køtiny, Køtiny u Brna
Tel. +420 516 574 189
The pilgrimage church of the Birth of the virgin at Køtiny, nestling in a lovely wooded valley near
Blansko, is a typical example of Czech Baroque planning. The years 1712-1750 saw the construction of
the massive cross-shaped central edifice with its monumental dome and facade surmounted by a tower
for which the Baroque architect, Giovani B. Santini, supplied the plans. The focus of the church was
a spectacular 15th century statue of the benevolent Virgin, the object of the pilgrims´ worship. The
murals are by Johann J. Etgens, the painting on the high altar is by Josef Winterhalder, and there
are carved wooden ornaments by Andreas Schweigl. There is also a noteworthy series of Stations of
the Cross by the Jesuit painter, Ignaz Raab.
Adjoining the church there is an oval cloister surrounding the chapel of St. Anna, patroness
of the family. The pilgrimage centre was under the control of the Premonstratensian order, who built
a baroque summer residence in the vicinity which suffered some alterations in the 19th century.