Informační centrum, Masarykovo nám. 19, Jihlava
Tel. +420 567 308 034, +420 567 311 927
The present city still maintains its original fortifications. All in all it contains 213 protected monuments. The most significant buildings are the Minorite Monastery and church of The Assumption of the Virgin which was completed after 1250. The Dominican Monastery (with the church of St. Cross) is a little younger. It was built in the Gothic French style. The church of St. Jacob was started before the year 1250. The precious architecture of the city of Jihlava is mostly hidden from outside view and is located in its large square (3,6 ha). There are all together 14 well-preserved houses from early Gothic time. There are other stone houses built in the proximity of the square. The catacombs, created by the joining of the cellars, are interesting examples of the Gothic building style.
Rebuilt after several fires, Jihlava acquired a Renaissance look and its architecture was enriched by the so-called "Jihlava covered yard". Also the "upper halls" and the "lower halls" of the courtyards are historical jewels worthy to behold. Architectural and urban developments of the city were interrupted during the Baroque era which added a new veneer to most exteriors including the complex of Jesuit Colleges built between 1680 and 1727. Besides witnessing the architectural heritage, it is also possible to visit the Museum of the Highlands, the Regional Highland Gallery, the catacombs and the modern zoo.