Státní hrad Buchlov, 687 08 Buchlovice
Tel. +420 572 595 161.
The beginnings of this castle date back to the first half of the 13th century. Although the castle was
the permanent property of the king until the 16th century, it was often given out to the management of
noble families. In 1511 the castle entered private hands. From the 16th to the 18th centuries, the castle
ownership was shared by the families from Žerotín, Zástřizl, and Petřvald.
Additional construction was made on Buchlov in Renaissance and Baroque styles. However, in 1707 a
Baroque chateau in Buchlovice was completed, and the owners had moved there permenently by 1751. In
1800 the Berchtolds of Uherčice became the last holders of Buchlov. Under the auspices of two
half-brothers Leopold and Bedřich, a family museum was created in the castle, which was opened to the
public in the middle of the 19th century.
Today's interior furnishings, together with a collection of specimens from nature and an extensive
library, document the evolution of interior design and lifestyles between the 15th and the 19th
centuries. A visit to the castle may be combined with a tour of the private cemetery of the owners of
the chapel of St. Barbora.