Zámek Mělník, 276 01 Mělník
Tel. +420 315 622 121
Above the confluence of the Elbe and Vltava Rivers there was a Slavonic fortified
settlement as early as the 9th century replaced, in the following period, by an early
Medieval castle. The settlement under the castle was elevated to the status of a town by
Přemysl Otakar II in 1274, and not long after Mělník was determined to be the dowry town
of the Czech queens. Although the castle was expanded at least twice in the 15th century,
Zdislav Berka of Dubé proceeded to fundamentally reconstruct it in 1553. The Lobkowics
followed up with the next building activity at the close of the 16th century, the Černíns
a century later, and in the second half of the 18th century the manor's interior was
refashioned again by the Lobkowics to whom the building belongs at present.
In the publicly accessible interiors of the manor it is possible to behold arts
collections of the Mělník branch of the Lobkowics, including a picture gallery of high
quality. Given the fact that Mělník was the center of Czech wine making since the times of
Karel IV, this manor is recommended to those who are lovers of this beverage.