Zámek Bechyně, 391 65 Bechyně, tel. +420 381 213 143
Bechyně was first mentioned at the end of the 11th century as the region's administrative centre.
In 1269, King Přemysl Otakar II bought Bechyně from a Prague bishop, and had a castle built on the
rocky point where the Lužnice river and the stream Smutný join near the present town. Between 1581 and
1584 Baldassare Maggi of Arogno built there a Renaissance chateau, whose east and west wings joined
the north wing of the old castle. The result was a new castle courtyard which may be accessed through
the gate under the steeple of the north wing.